Home » Annotated Bibliography

Annotated Bibliography

Maximo Martinez

4/2/2019

Humanities

Ms. Shamecca

Annotated Bibliography

Ann P. Haas, Philip L. Rodgers, Jody L. Herman, P. “ Suicide Attempts among Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Adults FINDINGS OF THE NATIONAL TRANSGENDER DISCRIMINATION SURVEY” https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf January 2014, by American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

• This Article by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention talks about the suicide rate among the transgender community, mostly about the suicide attempts, which it was proven to be 41%b before and after surgery. In the article it also goes into more detail about how the suicide attempt rate changes depending in different factors like age, sex, income, or just personal experience. The reason of why I chose this article as a primary scholarly source was because it helps my argument/claim of kids shouldn’t be exposed to the transgender world (specially by their parents) since not only confuses them, but also because as shown, is dangerous to the point that is life threatening to the kid. I also believe that this source is 100% reliable since it not only written by the American Foundation for Suicide prevention, from the Williams Institute. But also because the information collected in this page is directly from the National Transgender Discrimination Survey (NTDS) which was a survey given to the transgender community.

“Baby boys have higher mortality rate than girls in their first year of life”, by The News Medical Life Sciences. “https://www.news-medical.net/news/2008/03/25/36646.aspx” Mar 25, 2008.

• This article talks about the mortality rate of boys vs girls after they are born. It starts comparing how in 1750’s the mortality rate of a boy after they are born is 10% higher than a girls vs today with according Dr. Eileen Crimmins going up to 20% higher than girls. The article also talks about how boys also have a weaker immune system after they are born. The reason why I chose this topic and why I find this information important, is because I want to show one if the many differences between gender, I want to show how not only there is just 2 genders, but also that gender is not something that you get to choose, or assign. Gender is recognize at birth (even before), because of differences. On the other hand, this article would be considered unreliable, for reasons such as that the name of the author is not included. And also because through the article, there is not direct citation to any of the sources that the author uses. But the author does refer to research done by groups and individual, so is up to the reader to confirm those researches.

Sax, Leonard “How common is intersex?” https://www.leonardsax.com/how-common-is-intersex-a-response-to-anne-fausto-sterling/ August 1, 2002.

• This article by Dr. Leonard Sax is about not only the percentage of how common are the intersex, but also the effect on those people and how they live with it. He talks about things like how people with Klinefelter syndrome (condition where men are born with extra X chromosomes) and how their condition is goes almost completely undetected. Same with women with Turner syndrome( condition where women are born with extra y chromosomes). He also talks about as the title says, how common are the intersex, and he concludes that after taken into consideration some other factors, it comes out to be less than 2/10,000. I chose this source because it contradict one of the video “Parents Explain Gender | Parents Explain | Cut”, of people who are in the middle of the spectrum between men and women, which one of the parents claim to be the infinite number of genders, when in reality are the intersex people, who most of the time don’t have a problem on staying in one gender or another.