Home » Reflection #2

Reflection #2

Maximo Martinez

3/19/2019

Writing for the Humanities

Ms. Shamecca

Visual Essay Reflection

For this visual essay, the genre I decided to go with was, kind off a “Meme” format. I went with this genre because I thought that since my Op Ed, was mostly based on logos, I decided to play a little bit the arguments and made them “funny”. Another reason is because I am a big fan memes themselves. I always liked memes, is just a humorous way to talk about a topic that could be relatable, political, personal, and most likely provocative. So basically I choose the meme format, because I believe that adding a little humor to anything, always makes it better. I think that people that would agree with me on the topic (from my school), would at least get a chuckle out of it. So this is why this essay is partially targeting the people who think that the gender pay gap is not real. I say partially because like I said, I think some people would laugh at it but am sure that others, would most likely get offended. This is because my second second targeted audience is not necessarily “feminists” but people who thinks that  the gender pay gap is real (from my school too), my visual essay is also meant to make fun of them. So this is also a reason of why I choose the meme format, because in a meme you get to in some way make fun of something/someone.

The strategies I used to make this Visual Essay were of course ethos, pathos, and logos. With the main one being pathos, I used a lot of humor to make this, since as mentioned before, this is suppose to be a meme. This is shown with all the pictures of the memes placed; with phrases like “you can bridge the wage gap”; the facial expression of the horses, etc. Also I used things like the feminist crying when the guy says that the gender pay gap is not real, to again make fun of it. All used for humorous purposes in order to appeal to their emotions. I also used ethos by adding my own words, of how I am an example of the reason why men earn more than women. And finally I used logos by showing phrases like “dangerous jobs get pay more”, or appealing to their logic, by including the fact that why would business hire more women, if they could wage discriminate.

Creating this Visual Essay was different from creating other essay starting from the fact that this essay didn’t required like a maximum and minimum numbers of words. This essay was more open than any other I ever made. You many options of how to create it, from videos, and gifs, to posters and memes. Normally all essays I write all the work done is typed, and I have a requirements of words I have to meet, there was none of that in this essay. Definitely the most creative essay I ever made.