Home » Reflection #1

Reflection #1

Maximo Martinez

3/5/2019

Mr. Shamecca

Writing for the Humanities

Op Ed Reflection

The publication I used to pitch my Op Ed was “Nevertheless, the gender wage gap myth persisted” by  Louis Sarkozy, published on January 8, 2018. And things I used from this Op Ed was not only obviously the topic/Rhetorical Situation, but also aspects such as technique, format and style.

First let’s talk about the rhetorical situation of both Op Eds. They are both about the gender pay gap myth and explaining why is false. Mostly talking about the reason why people believe it to be true, by also adding why that claim is unreliable and actually not true. Both talking about how if you take into consideration the different career paths between the genders, there is no difference in paying, but in earning.

There is a difference though on the audience targeted. Even though we are both trying to convince the people who do believe in the myth, based from the background story of Sarkozy, his targeted audience is conservative from college and politicians authorities that affect the college education. While on my Op Ed my audience is the students and teachers from MY school, that believe on the gender pay gap.

Finally some styles I took from his Op Ed were things such as: The text font, the paragraph format, in which he decided to shorter them. Finally I also used his technique of leaving a question at the end to make the reader doubt the possibility of the the gender pay gap to be just a myth.